This is a write-up on the questions we have been asked on what, how we worked on the AT&T hackathon.
WHAT WAS THIS HACKATHON ALL ABOUT?
It was about mechatronics: The art of mixing mechanical engineering with electronics and wireless connectivity. Building IoT solutions that cross multiple subfields of engineering for smart cities, healthcare, sports, sustainability, and home.
WHAT TOPIC DID WE CHOOSE?
We choose to build a concept with #IoT & #Healthcare.
HOW MANY TEAMS WERE WE COMPETING WITH?
It was a battle of some of the smartest minds on the planet. With 35 teams, over 736+ Techies participating, it was quite a competition.
WHO WERE JUDGING IT?
Judges were from the sponsor companies: IBM Watson, Twilio, Nuance Mix and Intel Edison.
WHAT WAS TVS NEXT’S CONCEPT ALL ABOUT?
Our Concept was christened “PAVIO”. PAVIO – Preventing AVoidable Interventions using IOT. PAVIO also means “wick”, “candle wick” in Portuguese. Something that throws light, enlightens.
BASIS OF OUR CHOICE FOR THIS TOPIC
Our research led us to re-admission rates in US, which was alarming. Readmission has been a key problem in US with close to 18% of the total patients getting re-admitted in the hospital within 30 days of discharge. US Medicare spends a huge amount YOY on Patient readmission’s. Majority of the patients get re-admitted because of:
- Improper intake of Medicines
- Lack of live Monitoring on the patient vitals
- Lack of educating the patients on do’s and don’t’s
- Lack of periodic consulting from Medical experts
The application concentrates on reducing the number of patient re admissions for diabetics. Pavio, is a patient-centered mobile & IoT application that enables healthcare providers reduce preventable readmission’s for at-risk Diabetes patients. Hospitals require access to real-time and predictive data so that they can make fast and effective decisions.
Pavio through its innovative platform provides scale for physicians and nurses to manage a large pool of patients.
With the ability to monitor patient’s vitals, it has the capability to take intelligent and cognitive prescriptive measures to address any threshold breaches. Pavio has the ability to access nearby Telehealth social workers for any emergencies and with its unique gamification and localization approach to learning it will improve patient’s retention and adherence to the transition care procedures.
KEY BENEFITS OF THE APPLICATION
- Integrated, behaviour-driven, patient-centric model.
- Increase Patient Engagement in their care, including e-mailing, texting, and social media channels.
- Allow them to communicate with their care providers directly.
- Provide patients access to management tools.
- Streamline Workflow with Patient Dashboards.
- Help people take care of themselves by monitoring their health.
- Allow physicians to accurately diagnose and suggest treatments.
- Facilitate monitoring calorie intake, heartbeat, fitness levels and more.
- Drug Intake and Trends.
WHAT WERE THE TECHNOLOGIES USED?
- Native Android Application.
- IBM watson for Cognitive learning using data on previous patient medical procedures and readmission history.
- Predictive Analysis using patient discharge data.
- Twilio for emergency triggers (SOS) and communicating with caregivers.
- Intel Edison/Raspberry Pi for IoT hardwares.
- AI chatbot for easy communication with the end user.