Innovation is the driver of progress in industrial automation. From the conception of the programmable logic controller (PLC) in 1968 to the introduction of the collaborative robots we see in industry today, technological developments continuously shape the industrial automation landscape. This article discusses what is and why do we need industrial automation in the year ahead?
Also See: DIGITAL MANUFACTURING
WHAT IS INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION?
Industrial automation is the use of various control devices like PC /PLC /DCS, used to have control on various operations of an industry without significant intervention from humans and to provide automatic control performance. In industries, control strategies use a set of technologies which are implemented to get the desired performance or output, making the automation system most vital for industries.
NEED OF AUTOMATED INDUSTRY
- Reduce Periodic or Manual checking: In some critical applications periodic checking of the process variable is necessary to perform industrial operations. Automation equipment reduces the periodic or manual operations and establishes the automatic working conditions.
- Increase the Productivity: Automating the manufacturing and other production processes increases the production rate by producing output at greater amounts for a given labour input.
- Reduce the Production Cost: Using the automatic machines and equipments, human intervention to control the processes abruptly falls. This reduces the investment on the labor cost hence the production cost.
- Improve Product Quality: Using the automatic machines and equipments, human intervention to control the processes abruptly falls. This reduces the investment on the labor cost hence the production cost.
- Increase the Flexibility: Using the automation equipment various, process are handled simply without getting any complex environment particularly in manufacturing processes.
- Operator Friendly and Improves the Safety: Complexity of operating the equipments or processes is reduced with industrial automation. It changes the position of the operator as operator to the supervisory role.
THE INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION OPPORTUNITY AND CHALLENGE
The new opportunity with Industrial challenge is using the wealth of information available from smart, networked devices to revolutionize industrial processes. The challenge is to think big and drive the change necessary within your organization to capitalize on information available today to for success tomorrow.
Also See: POTENTIAL FOR A SMART MANUFACTURING FUTURE
Native apps, hybrid apps, or web apps are all ways to cater to the needs of the mobile user. There is no unique best solution. Each of these has their strengths and weaknesses. The choice of one versus the other depends on each company’s unique needs.
POISED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE
Given that the supporting technologies behind all these futuristic industry concepts are available today, the question is: Are you ready to take advantage of them?