This new wave of connectivity Internet of Things(IoT) is going beyond laptops and smartphones, it’s going towards connected cars, smart homes, connected wearables, smart cities and connected healthcare. Basically a connected life. According to Gartner report, by 2020 connected devices across all technologies will reach to 20.6 billion.
These devices will bridge the void between physical and digital world to improve the quality and productivity of life, society and industries. With launch of Apple Watch and more devices to flow in, these connected devices are going to keep us hooked with the inter-connected world.
Now, to give you a quick look of how applications of IoT will transform our lives we have listed down few areas where IoT is much awaited and companies are preparing to surprise you with smart devices.
- Smart Home:Wouldn’t you love if you could switch on air conditioning before reaching home or switch off lights even after you have left home? Or unlock the doors to friends for temporary access even when you are not at home. Don’t be surprised with IoT taking shape companies are building products to make your life simpler and convenient.Smart Home has become the revolutionary ladder of success in the residential spaces and it is predicted that Smart homes will become as common as smartphones.
- WearablesWearables have experienced an intense demand in markets all over the world. Companies like Google, Samsung have invested heavily in building such devices. But, how do they work?Wearable devices are installed with sensors and software which collect data and information about the users. This data is later pre-processed to extract essential insights about user.
These devices broadly cover fitness, health and entertainment requirements. The pre-requisite from internet of things technology for wearable applications is to be highly energy efficient or ultra-low power and small sized.
- Connected CarsThe automotive digital technology has focused on maximizing vehicles internal functions. But now, this attention is growing towards enhancing the in-car experience.A connected car is a vehicle which is able to optimize its own operation, maintenance as well as comfort of passengers using onboard sensors and internet connectivity.
- Industrial Internetas Industrial Internet of Things ( IIoT ) is the new buzz in the industrial sector. It is empowering industrial engineering with sensors, software and big data analytics to create brilliant machines.IIoT holds great capability for quality control and sustainability. Applications for tracking goods, real time information exchange about inventory among suppliers and retailers and automated delivery will increase the supply chain efficiency.
- Smart CitiesSmart city is another powerful application of IoT generating curiosity among world’s population. Smart surveillance, automated transportation, smarter energy management systems, water distribution, urban security and environmental monitoring all are examples of internet of things applications for smart cities.IoT will resolve major problems faced by the people living in cities like pollution, traffic congestion and shortage of energy supplies etc. Products like cellular communication enabled Smart trash will send alerts to municipal services when a bin needs to be emptied.
By installing sensors and using web applications, citizens can find free available parking slots across the city. Also, the sensors can diagnose meter tampering issues, general malfunctions and any installation issues in the electricity system.
- IoT in agricultureWith the continuous increase in world’s population, demand for food supply is extremely raised. Governments are helping farmers to use advanced techniques and research to increase food production. Smart farming is one of the fastest growing fields in IoT.Farmers are using meaningful insights from the data to yield better return on investment. Sensing for soil moisture and nutrients, controlling water usage for plant growth and determining custom fertilizer are some simple uses of IoT.
- Smart RetailThe potential of IoT in the retail sector is expansive. IoT provides an opportunity to retailers to connect with the customers to improve the in-store experience.Smartphones will be the way for retailers to remain connected with their consumers even out of store. Interacting through Smartphones can help retailers serve their consumers better. They can also track consumer’s path through a store and improve store layout and place premium products in high traffic areas.
- Energy EngagementPower grids of the future will not only be smart enough but also highly reliable. The basic idea behind the smart grids is to collect data in an automated way and analyze the behaviour or electricity consumers and suppliers for enhancing efficiency as well as economics of electricity use.Smart Grids will also be able to detect sources of power shortages more quickly and make distributed energy system possible.
- IoT in HealthcareThe concept of connected healthcare system and smart medical devices bears vast potential not just for companies, but also for the well-being of people in general.IoT in healthcare is aimed at empowering people to live healthier life by wearing connected devices.
The collected data will help in personalized analysis of an individual’s health and provide tailor made strategies to combat illness.
- IoT in Poultry and FarmingLivestock monitoring is about animal husbandry and cost saving. Using IoT applications to gather data about the health and well being of the cattle, ranchers knowing early about the sick animal can back out and help halt large number of sick cattle.
Also See: WHAT DIGITAL PRODUCT IS ALL ABOUT
The future of IoT is more captivating than this where billions of things will be talking to each other and human intervention will become least. IoT will bring macro shift in the way we live and work.